As the name suggests, Asha Kiran is indeed a “ray of hope” to its many beneficiaries. Situated in Andheri, Asha Kiran is a platform for women to express themselves and it also serves as a refuge for those in distress. In addition, Asha Kiran is dedicated to helping the elderly members of society by providing them with a place to stay and engaging them in a number of creative initiatives.
Asha Kiran provides:
Accommodation for Senior Citizens
- Our Residence provides a safe, comfortable and lively environment to eleven senior women, aged between 65 and 96 years.
Transient guest accommodation
- It provides a safe and comfortable accommodation to 45 guests, in single or twin sharing rooms.
Emergency Shelter for women in distress
- Temporary accommodation is provided free or at a very nominal cost to women in distress, especially victims of domestic violence.
Facilities and Services
Library: Novels and books on various topics are available to all the inmates of Asha Kiran. Residents and students make use of this facility.
Amphitheatre: The open air theatre with seating arrangements for about hundred persons at the rear side of the building is used for in-house programmes. Occasionally theatre groups use the amphitheatre for rehearsals.
Conference Hall/Meeting Room: is used by women’s groups and by the YWCA for various meetings and programmes.
Building programmes of Asha Kiran
- Crèche for children of marginalized working women
- Day Care Centre for senior citizens
- A four-month beautician course for training young women in personal grooming
- Marathi/Urdu Study Centre for slum children
- Vacation English Classes for training women in conversational English We conduct Tailoring, Mehendi, English Speaking Courses, Extension classes, etc.
- We organise various Workshops, Awareness Programmes/Sessions, Career Counselling, etc.
- Celebration of Special Events like Asha Kiran Annual Day, Teacher’s Day, Children’s Day, Christmas Programme, Environment Day, Diwali Dhamaka, Week without Violence, HIV/AIDS, Elder’s Day, Alumini Meet, World Alzheimer’s Day, Raksha Bandan, etc.
- Celebration of National Festivals.
- Vacation Courses like Nail Art, Hair Cutting, Self-Grooming are conducted.
- Other activities/programmes include Medical Camps, Exposure Visits, Picnics, etc.